Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:02:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@privatelabs.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        welch@scriptics.com
Subject:   ports/19870: new port -- www/tclhttpd

>Number:         19870
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       new port -- www/tclhttpd
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

This is a pure-Tcl implementation of an HTTP protocol server. It runs as
a script on  top of a vanilla Tcl interpreter  using tcllib scripts and,
optionally, two binary libraries (crypt and limit).

The Tcl I/O system provides  event-driven I/O facilities and a primitive
that copies  data from one I/O  channel to another. The  server does the
HTTP protocol handling  and then simply directs the I/O  system to blast
data from  disk to  a network  socket. The  server has  suprisingly good
performance because of Tcl's sophisticated I/O system.

The HTTP protocol is perhaps the least interesting aspect of the server.
The cool stuff is the framework for generating dynamic page content, and
the support for  embedding the server directly  into legacy applications
to "web-enable" them.

A Tcl-based web  server is ideal for embedding because  Tcl was designed
to support embedding into other  applications. The interpreted nature of
Tcl  allows  dynamic  reconfiguration  of  the  server.  Once  the  core
interface between the web server and the hosting application is defined,
it  is  possible to  manage  the  web  server, upload  Safe-Tcl  control
scripts, download logging information, and  otherwise debug the Tcl part
of the application without restarting the hosting application.

WWW: http://dev.scriptics.com/software/tclhttpd/

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

	The port's bzip2-ed shar-ball is available at
		http://virtual-estates.net/tclhttpd-port.shar.bz2