Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:09:33 -0600
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        greg@rowes.org
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org, 'John Baldwin' <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, 'Andriy Gapon' <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Subject:   RE: PCI Radeon 9250 - DRI/DRM in 8.0-RELEASE

On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 17:36 -0500, Greg Rowe wrote:
> The system is still running the pagezero patch if that makes any difference?

Ok, you can get rid of that.

I wasn't able to fix this quite like I wanted to, but this should work.
The fix that I was intending to do, ended up meaning that I had to work
on our mmap implementation, which I did, but won't be committed until it
is reviewed. It also required a handful of changes to userland (libdrm,
and the DDX driver) and broke the KBI so rebuilding even more stuff was
needed.  The linux guys would not have been happy with me and I would
have had a fight on my hands.

This patch implements what I wanted to do on 64 bit platforms.  On 32
bit platforms (i386) it comes with some consequences... On amd64, I've
adapted the map handle to have an offset of 0 and a globally unique map
number starting at bit 40.  This means that there are 24 bits for maps
and each map can describe 1TB of memory.  On i386, I've done the same
thing except I am only stealing the top 4 bits for the map id, so there
can only be 15 maps each up to 256MB.  This should be ok since normally
there are only 6 or 7 maps.

I have run tested this on r600 amd64 so far.  I can test r3/5/6/700,
Intel and nouveau, but haven't done so yet.  This should be a kernel
only fix, meaning you should not need to patch or rebuild any of your
userland apps.  The patch is applicable to -CURRENT, and should work on
8-STABLE and possibly 7-STABLE.

http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/drm_mmap_fix.patch

robert.