Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:45:38 +0200
From:      "Alexander Leidinger" <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Rohit Tripathi" <rohit.trip@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnome2/x11 slow after optimization!

Quoting "Rohit Tripathi" <rohit.trip@gmail.com> (from Thu, 21 Aug 2008 =20
13:38:09 -0400):

Adding some more info to what other people already told...

> KERNCONF=3DWAV
> NO_WERROR=3DYES
> WERROR=3D-Wno-error

If there's an error in the default setup with the default compiler =20
with the default warning options, it's a problem. You better fail than =20
fall on your nose after installing what was produced. If you use a =20
non-default compiler you are on your own, and using non-default =20
warning options does not make sense if you don't develop new stuff.

> #NO_CLEAN=3Dyes
> #NO_CLEANDIR=3Dyes
> CPUTYPE=3Dcore2 #nocona
> ARCH=3Dcore2 #nocona
> MACHINE=3Dcore2 #nocona
> MACHINE_ARCH=3Dcore2 #nocona

Only set one of them (CPUTYPE), the rest will be set automatically if =20
necessary. Don't mess with this.

> CFLAGS=3D -O3 -pipe -mtune=3Dcore2 -m128bit-long-double -mfpmath=3Dsse
> -ftree-vectorize
> CXXFLAGS+=3D -fconserve-space
> BDECFLAGS=3D      -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-alig=
n \
>                 -Wcast-qual -Wchar-subscripts -Winline \
>                 -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith \
>                 -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes =20
> -Wwrite-strings

Normally you don't need the BDECFLAGS (only additional warning), =20
except you want to improve the code.

> #CFLAGS         +=3D      ${BDECFLAGS}
> COPTFLAGS       =3D       -O -pipe -mtune=3Dcore2 -m128bit-long-double =20
> -mfpmath=3Dsse

Very big no-no! Do not use floating point stuff in COPTFLAGS. This is =20
for the kernel, and you ware not allowed to use floating point stuff =20
in the kernel. Let the CPUTYPE handle the tuning.

> DISABLE_SIZE    =3D       YES
> FETCH_CMD       =3D       /usr/local/bin/wget -c --passive-ftp
> ftp_proxy=3D$ftp_proxy

Fetch is able to do passive ftp too (and this is the default). You =20
should set the ftp proxy in FETCH_ENV instead, this way it's also =20
available in case you revert pack to the normal FETCH_CMD.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Song Title of the Week:
=09"They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change
in me."

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137