Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:26:15 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Chip Oakley <silverskymusic2@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technical Support Question

> Am tempted to remove the drive and insert a new one, not sure as there is
> memory on the drive available and nothing really wrong with it.

I suggest temporarily disconnect data cable of old disc,
(no need to unscrew it & replace with another hard disc yet),

Then push reset, & see if the raw PC + BIOS is capable of reading
& booting the FreeBSD CD with No hard disc.

If PC still cant boot the FreeBSD CD, see if PC can boot some/any other
bootable CD eg another BSD Linux MS whatever, any CD been proved bootable
on other machines.

Take it small step by step, decouple the questions
	can that PC read any cdroms
	can that PC read that particular cdrom
	can that PC boot from cdroms
	can that PC boot from that particular cdroms
	does the BIOS correctly use the specified boot order or ignore it.

Some BIOSES are weird, / cussid.
	I think I met one where if one didnt tell it to boot off
	floppy it would not boot off cd either, or similar.)

	I certainly met one where PC just wouldnt work right after I
	reviewed & set every damn option on every page.
	Then I reset to boot defaults (slow) then to defaults optimised,
	then I reset every option as I wanted it, then the PC worked fine.
	What that told me is that BIOS in its default reset, was
	resetting some values that it then never l;ater displayed
	in its menus.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".