Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:09:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        marc@versa.eng.comsat.com (Marc Giannoni)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE DMA/33 Support

Marc Giannoni said:
> Ahem...(sorry) I've seen a lot about DMA/33 for IDE these days.
> Does the 'wd' driver support DMA yet?
> If not are there plans to?
> DMA/33 is pretty fast!  About as fast as the PCI bus can go!

Current works with the PIIX* chipsets (Intel) in DMA or DMA/33 mode
as appropriate and with a few others including the Promise board.  If
you use the older -stable code, the MB chipsets will work with FreeBSD,
but will not work in DMA/33 mode.

I personally run -current with (currently 6) IDE drives.  4 Drives
on the PIIX3 on my SuperMicro P6DNF under SMP, and 2 Drives running
DMA/33 on my Promise card.  The system is very snappy, and performance
is probably good enough except for certain types of server applications,
where drive reliability or drive performance must be the highest.