Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 01:55:52 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1016697353.cbcb56@mired.org>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        seanleblanc@attbi.com, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some audio capture questions

In <20020316084125.3b2b0874.steve@sohara.org>, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org> typed:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:23:07 -0600
> MM> As for whether or not that card will work, I recommend asking on
> MM> -multimedia. Recording audio is one of the weak spots in FreeBSD at
> 	It is ? What's the problem ? Recording audio has always just
> worked from me.

I've got four audio cards. Only the Ensoniq 137x based card records
properly. I've got an ISA SB that worked fine on 3.bx, but stopped
working on 4.1. I haven't checked it recently because it's ISA, and
I'm not sure I have a machine left with any ISA slots. The SiS 7012
will record, but until conversion code is MFC'ed, it can only record
in one format, because that's all the hardware supports. FWIW, I added
the support for it to the ich driver; it didn't work at all when I
first got it. Finally, I've got a trident 4dwave that I hope to get
into the same state as the SiS.

In summary, my experience has been that buying an audio card is a crap
shoot as to whether or not it will record on FreeBSD, even if it's
listed as supported on the pcm manual page.

> 	BTW: this *is* -multimedia :)

Whoops. I thought it was -questions. My only excuse is that I recently
switched from the digested version of -questions.

	<mike