Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 01:58:55 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Raymond Kohler <raymond.j.kohler@lmco.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speed of -CURRENT [was: questions about the state of current]

Stijn Hoop wrote:
> I am experiencing a really noticable slower startup time on my very recent
> -CURRENT laptop for almost all programs. The problem seems to be in getting
> info in the cache, because it disappears when I start the same program again.
>
> It is even noticable when doing a simple 'ls -l' in an uncached directory (ie
> boot the laptop, cd tmp/test && ls -l), but larger things, like starting X,
> take roughly two or three times as long as on -STABLE.

[ ... ]

> The systems hostname was changed between Aug & Oct, but it's the
> same laptop, a P3-800 w/256MB memory.
>
> Thoughts?

The first thing you should do is check without ACPI loaded; the
biggest indicator will probably be the dmesg for the reported
clock rate, vs. what is installed in the machine (i.e. ACPI will
occasionally result in the machine being "power managed" down to
a lower clock rate.

Check the -current archives; this is normally the result of bad
ACPI P-code in the BIOS, and updating the BIOS usually fixes it
(or else you can patch it, if you can verify that this is the
problem).

-- Terry