Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:47:38 +0100
From:      Michael Riexinger <michael.riexinger@de.clara.net>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror problems

On Monday 08 November 2004 12:05, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 11:40:57AM +0100, Michael Riexinger wrote:
> +> Hi,
> +>
> +> I set up FreeBSD 5.3 with gmirror for my 2 ide disks ad0 and ad1.
> So the +> rootfs is included in the mirror. I wanted to test what
> happens when +> one disk fails, so I removed ad1. Unfortunately after
> a reboot the +> system didn't boot anymore with the error:
> +> GEOM_MIRROR: Force device mirror0 start due to timeout
> +> and
> +> GEOM_MIRROR: Device mirror0 destroyed
>
> Could you add:
>
> kern.geom.mirror.debug=2
>
> to your /boot/loader.conf and try to boot without ad1 again.
> It should start mirror with only one component (ad0) connected after
> this timeout and now it looks like it can't find any component.
Ok, done that:

the messages are:
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Tasting ad0.
  magic: GEOM::MIRROR
 version: 1
 name: mirror0
 did: 1626481947
 all: 2
 syncid: 1
 priority: 0
 slice: 4096
 balance: load
 mediasize: 20485785088
 vectorsize: 512
 syncoffset: 1297612800
 mflags: NONE
 dflags: DIRTY SYNCHONIZING
 provider:
GEOM_MIRROR[1]: Creating device mirror0
GEOM_MIRROR[0]: Device mirror0 created
GEOM_MIRROR[1]: Adding disk ad0 to mirror0
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Adding disk ad0
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Disk ad0 connected
GEOM_MIRROR[1]: Disk ad0 state changed from NONE to NEW (device mirror0)
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Divce mirror0 provider ad0 detected.
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Tasting ad0s1.
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Tasting acd0.
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Tasting ad0s1a.
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Tasting ad0s1b.
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Tasting ad0s1c.
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Tasting ad0s1d.
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Tasting ad0s1e.
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Tasting ad0s1f.
GEOM_MIRROR[0]: Force device mirror0 start due to timeout
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: No I/O requests for mirror0, it can be destroyed
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Disk ad0 disconnected
GEOM_MIRROR[2]: Consumer ad0 destroyed
GEOM_MIRROR[0]: Device mirror0 destroyed.

Thanks for your help,

Michael Riexinger
systems engineer

--
claranet gmbh   internet service provider
tel   +49 (0) 69  - 40 80 18 - 300