Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 14:59:10 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de underflow errors. huh?

On Sun, Nov 16, 1997 at 12:45:44AM -0800, David Greenman wrote:

> >de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow
> >
> >I have no clue what this means. Packets seem to be flowing through
> >the interface nicely, and there is no noticeable packet loss.
> >If anyone has any ideas what could be causing this, or if I should
> >give a hoot, please let me know.
>
>    It's indicating that the PCI bus was sufficiently busy enough to cause
> the transmit DMA to be stalled too long. The proper response to this condition
> in the device driver it to dynamically increase the transmit threshold (the
> number of bytes that are DMA'ed onto the card before the transmission is
> actually started on the wire). The fxp driver does this, the de driver
> doesn't. I think Matt Thomas might have fixed this in a later rev., but I'm
> not sure about that.
>    Anyway, other than the annoying console messages and perhaps a packet
> drop when it happens, the problem can be ignored.

Do you think increasing the bus speed will make a difference? This machine
is a P54C 150 - I originally wanted to run it at 75MHz * 2, but the
dealer gave me one of the aftermarket Intel CPUs with the integrated
heat sink, and the machine just plain won't make it past the memory
check when I run the bus at 75... I've done this (75*2) setup on several
other machines with no problems - but they had the OEM'ed version of the
CPU with no heatsink, and a grey bottom. I'm guessing that this black
bottomed jobby is preventing itself from being "overclocked" somehow.
I may try and get a replacement CPU..  But before I do that do you think
the jump from 60MHz to 75MHz will help the de card? Or is the 100Mb fxp
simply delivering data too quickly for it to handle. Perhaps replacing
the de with a fxp...

I realize it's not really an error, but it bugs me for some reason. Plus
it doesn't inspire confidence in the client when they look at their
firewall machine and see abnormal interupt errors :-)

Maybe I'll just change the error in the if_devar.h (I think that's what
it's called..) to "Self integrity security pass completed successfully.".  :-)

TIA,
-Mark

> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU