Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 21:53:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: syslogd fun (fwd)

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> >
> > Simon Shapiro scribbled this message on Aug 28:
> > > Is this something we have to worry about in FreeBSD?  I think it may, but
> > > do not know...
> >
> > nope...  freebsd's syslog in -current has the ability to turn on reception
> > of such messages from specific hosts... and when you specify "secure"
> > mode (which doesn't accept messages) you can still send messages to
> > remote hosts for logging...
>
> 	hmm....the loghost, the computer running syslogd and accepting
> 	messages from other computers, remains vunerable, as is noted
> 	in the BUGS section of the man page
>
> "The ability to log messages received in UDP packets is equivalent to an
>  unauthenticated remote disk-filling service, and should probably be dis-
>  abled by default.  Some sort of inter-syslogd authentication mechanism
>  ought to be worked out.  To prevent the worst abuse, use of the -a option
>  is therefore highly recommended."
>

> 	filter syslog at your firewall.  falls under teh general rule:
> 	"unless you need it, filter it out"

I've been working intermittently on a secure syslog protocol allowing for
both authentication and protection of syslog messages.  I'm still in a
design phase, but was thinking of starting up a mailing list for
discussing the issues involved (there are many.)  One feature I'd like to
see is authenticity against original log generator -- even if the message
is forwarded multiple times and then logged, it can be verified against an
original signer.  Some authentication log data should remain private, and
such a feature would also be offered..  This is all weighed against excess
processor use, of course :).

  Robert N Watson

Junior, Logic+Computation, Carnegie Mellon University  http://www.cmu.edu/
Network Administrator, SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/