Date:      Tue, 02 Jun 1998 06:51:54 -0700
From:      Albert Kinderman <albert.kinderman@email.csun.edu>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        Paul Dekkers <psd@cgu.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade 2.2.1 by compiling new kernel?

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 02, 1998 at 11:40:07AM +0200, Paul Dekkers wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Is it possible to upgrade my 2.2.1 system by compiling a new 2.2.6 kernel,
> > and installing it? (Or can I expect many problems because of the other
> > utilities that are not kernel independent?...)
> >
> > Paul
>
> No, it is _not_ possible.
> You should upgrade the whole system.
>
> --
> Ruslan Ermilov          System Administrator

However, you can do this in pieces, as I have just done it from 2.2.2 to 2.2.6.
Since I didn't have my plug'n'play modem operational, I used another operating
system to download the /bin files from ftp.freebsd.org to a dos partition.  Then

I went back to freebsd and installed the /bin files.  That gave me a 2.2.6
kernel.GENERIC which could be booted.  I then downloaded the sources for
/usr/sys and installed.   Then I compiled a custom kernel for 2.2.6.

I used /stand/sysinstall for the installation.  You can also use the install.sh
script
that is in each of the subdirectories.  [I don't know if this will work for the
the
sources if you are getting just part of them, as I did]  If you have an
operational
modem or network connection, you should be able to use sysinstall by ftp.

Al