Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:49:25 -0400
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>, Martin Turgeon <turgeon.martin@gmail.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i386 with PAE or AMD64 on PowerEdge with 4G RAM

In <86d4zpj6m3.fsf@dwp.des.no>, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no> type=
d:
> Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org> writes:
> > I find that extremely ironic. I've spent most of the last two days
> > trying to put together a Linux system with python 2.5 (or later) an=
> > lxml 1.2 (or later), because I need to add an oracle library to it.=

         ^^^
> > While both FreeBSD and darwin ports (where I do development) have a=
ll
> > the appropriate bits except oracle, the Linux distros don't have an=
> > of them in their packaging systems.
> Bollocks.

No, that taste in your mouth is crow.

> des@des ~% cat /etc/lsb-release=20
> DISTRIB=5FID=3DUbuntu
> DISTRIB=5FRELEASE=3D7.04
> DISTRIB=5FCODENAME=3Dfeisty
> DISTRIB=5FDESCRIPTION=3D"Ubuntu 7.04"
> des@des ~% uname -m
> x86=5F64
> des@des ~% python --version
> Python 2.5.1
> des@des ~% sudo apt-get install python-lxml
[...]
> Unpacking python-lxml (from .../python-lxml=5F1.1.2-1ubuntu2=5Famd64.=
deb) ...
> Setting up python-lxml (1.1.2-1ubuntu2) ...
=09=09=09    ^^^^^

> Any more nonsense you wish to share=3F

The only nonsense here is that you apparently think 1.1.2 is later
than 1.2. 1.2 is the earliest version of lxml with XInclude support,
and I need that. The package you just installed doesn't have
it. Ubuntu 7.04 with python 2.5.1 and lxml 1.1.2 was one of the
distros I checked (and by far the best Linux system of the bunch), and
it isn't up to the job at hand.

=09<mike
--=20
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09http://www.mired.org/consulting.html
Independent Network/Unix/Perforce consultant, email for more informatio=
n.