Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 1996 11:15:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Follow-up to FreeBSD documentation team status report.

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Build Engineers Paul & Dave:
>
> Basically the same as for the webmasters - figure this arcane system
> out and assure yourselves that you can bring up a complete FreeBSD web
> site using nothing more than a src tree and a handful of fiebertools
> (all of which should eventually become part of that src tree,
> naturally :).  Dave, you probably need a freefall account.  See above.

Another first assignment here is planning/implementing the move
from freefall to spatter.  Basically everything in /usr/local/www
on freefall but there are a number of other issues.

* Server config file arrangements.  The lastest apache port puts
  config files in /usr/local/etc, log files in /var/log and such.
  We may not want log files there as they get very big very fast.
  Also need to arrange for rotating the logs.  (this has to be
  done by root)

* Syncing with CVS.  Since the repository is on a different
  machine, this mechanism will change.

* CGI scripts.  Some of these may have to continue living on
  freefall.  In particular cvsweb.cgi and possibly the mailing
  list archives.  URLs pointing to these need to be changed from
  www.freebsd.org to freefall.freebsd.org because eventually
  www != freefall.

* Automate update and build.  This is currently done by
  /usr/local/www/bin/webupdate.  Make any appropriate tweaks
  and then hand it off to cron.

I'll have time after Thursday to help out with all of this.

> News Editors John C & Nate J:

If you plan on creating bunches of new material, it should
probably go in a news subdirectory.

-john