Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:35:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        kotay@ahwanee.cs.dartmouth.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No Magic Number

According to kotay@ahwanee.cs.dartmouth.edu:
> I recently installed a second external SCSI drive on one
> of our FreeBSD machines.  I followed the instructions in
> the handbook for setting up the drive (disklabel, newfs,
> mount).  The drive seems to be working fine except at boot
> time when I get a message saying that the partitions do
> not have a magic number which won't allow fsck to check
> them.  Have I instaled the drive incorrectly?  How do I
> get these magic numbers onto the partitions?

	I had the same problems for more time than I care
	to admit.  Finally, thanks to the help from a
	gentleman on this list, I got the correct pointer.

	Check into your /stand/sysinstall binary.  The following
	FAQ will give you a very brief intro::

	 /usr/share/doc/FAQ/freebsd-faq.html Check out #3.13 titled "3.13"

	I think this faq-html needs to be expanded several hundred
	percent. But it was enough to get my new (2nd) SCSI drive
	installed correctly.

	gary kline