Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:33:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, <portmgr@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: portbuild script failure? [was Re: Package building delay?]

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 09:50:22PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> > 	Ok. Meanwhile, who's going to write the process monitoring script
> > that gives off an alarm if the process dies for a week at a time? : ) I'll
>
> We have some process monitoring already, but it's not very good
> about handling this sort of problem.
>
> > be glad to help if need be. Also, I think that only uploading the packages
>
> Sure.  See ports/Tools/portbuild.

	Ok, I'll take a look.

> > once a week is probably not often enough. Is the problem manpower?
>
> It's more than often enough.

	That depends on your perspective. Our "competition" makes packages
available a lot more often, as I understand it. It's also an issue for
security related releases, as we either have to delay the release of an
advisory, or they have to put in something like, "The packages for this
will be available... someday."

> The problem is bandwidth -- you're
> asking us to upload *5+ GB* of data at once.

	Surely you don't upload every single package every single time? It
should be pretty easy to keep track of what ports get upgraded during a
given time period, and only upload those, shouldn't it? Our ports system
gets bigger every day, this is a problem that needs a solution sooner
rather than later.