Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 1997 09:16:53 -0800
From:      Mark Hannon <epamha@epa.ericsson.se>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Hannon, Mark (seeware)" <mark@seeware.DIALix.oz.au>
Subject:   Locale problems with CDE/FreeBSD !Linux

Hi all,

I have been having some more problems with the Xinside CDE
implementation.

As is their practice, the technical support department have been
unresponsive.
I received a reply this morning from Thomas Roell that they were looking
at
my problem but didn't think they could fix it.

So, maybe someone on the lists can give me some clues....

FreeBSD-2.2-RELEASE (with sgid patch to get dtmail working) |
FreeBSD-2.1.7
Locale set from dtlogin is en_AU | sv_SE.  Swedish keyboard installed.
LANG is set to en_AU by the login program.

My basic problem is that I cannot enter swedish characters ÅÅÖ in the
dtmail compose window.  The same problem in the dtpad editor.  I can
however read emails with these characters & can even paste the
characters
into dtmail.

The dtterm terminal emulator running tcsh allows me to enter the
characters.

Xemacs allows their input.

The problem is the same under both the swedish (sv_SE) and english
(en_AU)
locales.  If I try the default 'C' locale then dtmail does not even
printout
the swedish characters in received mails.

I even removed my FreeBSD partition a couple of weekends ago, installed
a Redhat Linux distribution and CDE on top of it.  In that configuration
it was possible to input the swedish characters!  It seemed like a
rather
drastic solution to muck around recompiling/reconfiging my machines to
Linux so I reinstalled FreeBSD.

Is anybody using Xig CDE and a non-ascii locale?  Do you have any
problems?

Are there many CDE users out there?  It seems that Xig are concentrating
on
the Linux market.  I have seen a number of problems in CDE which seem to
indicate very little testing on FreeBSD (dtaction core dumps, dthelpview
core dumps, programs won't start from front panel, dtmail core dumps,
dtappintegrate doesn't work etc.)  Are there any other vendors thinking
about a CDE port to FreeBSD?

Can anybody give me any clues where to look further?

Regards/Mark