Date:      Sat, 23 Jul 2016 15:26:21 +0200
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Call for Testing: Switching back to our BSD licensed dtc(1)
References:  <CAPyFy2A71h5WYXR4cNoDRZ-sB2FWmJva6FFNX4jtSZqH=JxpMg@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfppxV0uB37nSaCPW2xLWPpTyzY5UZUkF6FkNoMAg_HsOg@mail.gmail.com> <FBCA88F4-4F31-44A9-AE76-54191FB8F8B3@FreeBSD.org> <CANCZdfr8AOd%2B2%2BRY1jpmOfADxhXd3CjXF4nnjJhgNqdBo2v7ZA@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfpfrbuZ1ZC1y=rY9WtoSPVE2rgoQ16eRLszkg%2BB246Hrg@mail.gmail.com> <DED81BE3-8084-4127-A408-4110F2814AAD@FreeBSD.org> <CANCZdfqXCOQ=mOP415%2BtO5jRRWn7wWYM-3CjQzuMB=8Q=0%2BqCA@mail.gmail.com> <10FBB716-E0BA-4146-92FD-F90AB4F8987C@FreeBSD.org> <CANCZdfqhnZpxyBn6mXW6tps0mc1cKV0AEu5zwr6ujKSxJJ24WA@mail.gmail.com>

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 22:16:41 -0600
Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 1:03 AM, David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org> wr=
ote:
> > On 22 Jul 2016, at 03:40, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

machinery required to implement it is already in dtc, so it should (hopeful=
ly) just be a matter of adding a new keyword to detect plugins, a scan to f=
ind the cross-references (or possibly reusing the existing one) and then a =
little bit of extra logic.

> >> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/D=
ocumentation/devicetree/overlay-notes.txt
> >> has the specs.
> >
> > Hmm, that?s even less complete than the docs that I?d found.
>=20
> Can you share that then?
>=20
> >From that, it seems as if the only thing that dtc needs to do is support=
 the /plugin/ syntax and emit a section describing unresolved references?
>=20
> I believe so, yes.
>=20
> >Or is dtc also expected to be able to do the merging?
>=20
> I think that's TBD. We'll need, at the very least, an update libfdt
> from upstream that knows how to do the merging, as well as changes to
> /boot/loader to be able to pick and choose which plugins to add to the
> base. If we can do all that with the BSDL DTC and it passes all the
> other GPL test cases, then we may have a winner and we can get started
> integrating plugin support to /boot/loader. I know my RPi would be
> happier if it had a 'standard' DTB with a plugin for whatever 1-wire
> stuff I'm playing with today.
>=20
> Warner

 ubldr already support dtb overlays as of r298821.
 Also support might come to uboot directly soon.

--=20
Emmanuel Vadot