Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:16:43 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
To:        leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what does my dmesg say?

> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:19:38 -0500
> Sender: leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
> From: leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
>
> In dos lingo I need to get com1 working?
> I have an isa hardware modem, I think it's
> jumpered for com1. In any event, whatever I have it
> jumpered for -  I have to make sure the bios that port enabled?
>
> Is that what you're saying?

Not DOS, since BIOS is a hardware linked thing and applies to any OS
that is running on the platform. It's just that on IBM laptops, the
traditional interface to BIOS at system boot time is augmented with a
software tool that runs under DOS and that tool is needed to enable or
disable ports.

On laptops the tool is "ps2". Whether there is a similar tool for
Aptivas, I don't know. I'd check the IBM web pages if you don't have
documentation for the box. Look for "BIOS setup" and "DOS
Configuration Tool" or something like that.

Good luck.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)