Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 16:54:17 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFC? src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC and sound support

Donn Miller wrote:

> "Michael C . Wu" wrote:
>
> > "Fully functional" for a desktop implies a working sound card too.
> > This is one of of those things that does not really matter very much.
> > A good server admin will recompile and customize his kernel.
> > And a desktop user probably does not know how to compile a kernel.
> > Are you telling me that, in your consultancy, you just keep GENERIC?
> >
> > There is no need for this bikeshed.  Whether pcm is included in GEERIC
> > or not does not really hurt anybody either way.
>
> FreeBSD is most often used as a server, not a desktop.  Why exactly is
> sound needed for a first install?  If nothing else, PCM could be loaded
> via a kernel module.  Optional stuff usually should not be statically
> linked into the kernel, but should be placed in KLD's.

While this is true, the GENERIC kernel is supposed to support as much
hardware "out of the box" as possible, so a user can install and not
have to worry about setting up devices...
Why should FreeBSD be used only as a server? There are plenty of linux
desktops around, and FreeBSD can be used just as well, even better
maybe!

I dont see why sound shouldnt be in the GENERIC kernel, since if
we decide what should be "generic" based on what a server will use
then maybe we should take out mouse and USB support as well? What
about all these ata devices? Any self respecting server would use
SCSI! As you can see, that is a bit extreme... But you would have
to say that sound is pretty much "generic" these days, so really
belongs in the GENERIC kernel...

Just my 2c,
Kal.