Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 12:35:15 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Downgrading securelevel on remote servers

At 12:27 AM 10/6/00 +0800, Michael Robinson wrote:

>The solution I came to for this problem was to use Gnu Privacy Guard to
>sign scripts in /usr/local/etc/secure, and a script that verified the
>signatures and executed them prior to the securelevel being set in /etc/rc.
>
>If you needed to do something like change the suid bit on chpass, you would
>write a script to do that, sign it, install it, reboot, and remove the script.
>The server only kept a copy of the public key (the keyring was noschg, of
>course).

With some thought this should work well.

>I don't need to do that anymore, though, because now I have an OOB Cisco 2509
>connected to the console ports on our colocated servers.

And the somewhat easier, but slower way.  Slower in the time involved to
hand edit.

See little point in using secure levels if one doesn't protect the
mechanism.  Dima pointed out the hassle involved, but then extra hassle is
to be expected as the security increases.  The question always is how far
one wishes to go and the costs involved.  YMMV

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve