Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:14:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Bill Cohane <wcohane@banet.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <chad@DCFinc.com>
Subject:   Re: Overheated PIII in SMP system

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Bill Cohane wrote:

Dear Bill.

Hello.

Well, I use two ASUS thermal sensors delivered with the board to measure
temperature. We all know that these measuremnets are not very severe in
the way to elaborate arguments, but changing the heatsinks show the same
phenomenon and for the case the sensor plugin is defective anyone can feel
the "hell" on SLOT 1 by touching it.

Nevertheless, this mainboard and both CPUs go to another system which is
not that important. Hope my new Coppermine based server will do its work like
our main server based on two 866 MHz Coppermines in a TYAN 2500 mainboard.
A stable and good operating system needs a good and stable hardware and
vice versa. if  one of both parts isn't stable, the whole thing isn't stable.

I regret so much having spent so much time in finding problems in FreeBSD
and priorly accuse the OS to be the faulty part. Since our backbone servers
are TYAN based (ServerWorks chipset and expensive ECC memory and high quality casings and
power supplies) I see how stable these machines are - in comparison to those based
on cheaper hardware.

Thanks a lot for all these responses and comments!

Oliver