Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 96 21:22:22 -0800
From:      Phill Glasson <pglasson@albury.net.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.0.5 "Root Login Not Allowed Here" after kernel build

Hi,

I've just compiled a new kernel for my system (third time!) and when I
select the new kernel from the boot prompt, I fail to login as root.  It
goes:-
   Boot: sd(0,a)/newkern
   blah
   blah
   blah
 Login: root
 Password: *******
 Login not allowed from here (or words to that effect)

Boot from the original /kernel and all is OK.

I have read the LINT and GENERIC kernel make files, and searched all the
FAQs I can find for "root" and "login" and cannot find any mention of
secure root logins.

What have I broken?

q2) Probably an easy answer.
I cannot access sd(0,a)/kernel from my boot floppy when the wd0 is
enabled in the bios.  Currently I dissable the ide hd in the bios so that
I can boot my FreeBSD scsi (aha1542) drive.  The BIG problem is when I
forget to reset the bios to boot from the ide when my wife wants to use
the machine!!!!

I am reasonably competent using Unix (I manage 8 IBM AIX rs/6k) (Don't
laugh!!!!) so please don't think I have made this posting as a first
resort.  I have looked long and hard at what I have been doing over
several nights.

Thanks for any help you can give.

      Phill.