Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:01:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about a strange hardware problem

Following up on a question I asked in mid-December:

> I've got an intermittent hardware problem on one of the CVSup mirror
> sites, and I would appreciate some experienced opinions about
> whether it's likely to be in the SCSI controller, the SCSI cable,
> the hard drive, or elsewhere.  The symptom is that the checkouts.cvs
> file which maintains state between CVSup updates occasionally gets
> 1-bit errors at random places in it.  I haven't seen any similar
> errors in the actual content on the mirror; but it is on a different
> drive, its access patterns are different, and errors there might be
> less noticeable.  The errors in checkouts.cvs cause updates to break
> until I intervene manually, so I notice those pretty quickly.

I moved the offending file to the other disk drive, but after several
weeks it once again got a 1-bit error in it.  That more or less ruled
out the drives as the cause of this problem.  I was able to visit the
machine today, and I replaced the RAM with new Micron ECC RAM.  It
turns out the machine had non-ECC RAM in it before.  (I didn't build
it and couldn't remember what it had installed.)  I have a strong
feeling this is going to fix the problem.  If not, I'll follow up
again.

John