Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2018 09:03:29 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        Denis Polygalov <dpolyg@gmail.com>
Cc:        x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does either Gnome or KDE support Wayland on FreeBSD? [EOM]

On 02/07/2018 03:41, Denis Polygalov wrote:
> Hi Grzegorz,
> "Currently FreeBSD supports Wayland compositor" - this statement is too general.
> To my knowledge the situation is like follows.
> Currently FreeBSD support Wayland (protocol) out of the box, just type:
> $ pkg install wayland
> In order to be able to see anything on the screen (or in a window created by X)
> you need a so called "Wayland compositor".
> In a world of Wayland the compositor is _the_ heavy stuff with wide
> range of dependencies.
> On FreeBSD currently there is no Wayland compositor available "out of
> the box" i.e. from packages for example, so you have to compile one of
> them by yourself.
> Reference Wayland compositor - "Weston" is not in the ports tree yet but you can
> find FreeBSD port for it under review here:
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10599?id=28017
> In order to use Weston or any other Wayland compositor you need at least:
> 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD
> drm-stable-kmod installed from ports
> mesa-libs compiled from ports with Wayland support
> Any other dependencies may differ for different Wayland compositors.
> The Weston for example require custom kernel with evdev enabled.
> kwin_wayland may require something else...
> Another Wayland compositor I manage to get run on a GENERIC 11.2 kernel is
> graphics/qt5-wayland.

Thanks Denis. That explains a lot! From what I could check a Wayland
compositor is supported in KWin from 5.4 (we have 5.12 in ports) and in
GnomeShell from 3.18 (same we have in ports).

That would imply that those two compositors are available from ports
"out of the box", in contrary to your statement, unless they have been
disabled, not tested, or are otherwise not fit for purpose? Or you meant
that there are no standalone compositors available?