Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 19:10:10 +0900
From:      Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release Makefile

I don't change change my mind (this change is not needed), but here is
yet another aspects.

jkh> Agreed - vnconfig is supposed to load the vn module and does,
jkh> at least, in -current.

However, this commit maybe assumes that if somebody want to do "make
release" of 5-current with 4-stable of /usr/src (oops, I have a
mistake in previous mail).

Under such situation, vn module of 4-stable should be loaded; but
vnconfig(8) runs under chroot environment which is maybe 5-current
world. You know, loading vn.ko of *5-current* to *4-stable kernel
should fail. To ensure vn device is available on *running* kernel, it
should be done at the outside of vnconfig(8) or whatever tool which
try to load vn module. In this commit, kick kldload(8) at the
begginning of 'release' target to do that.

But wait, wait a minute...

If you wanna say "make release", you already know about that an
exciting, cool, and misterious world is there. Why not adding
vn_load="YES" to your loader.conf and reboot ? our gretest FICL
interpreter will guide you to a door to the world. Why not making a
shell script to kick vnconfig(8) before running make release ? you may
also want to add "cd /usr/src; make buildworld" before loading vn
module. In any cases, no problems found :-)

***

BTW, are there any documents about "how-to make your own release?"
I've read handbook, but there are nothing mentioned although there is
a chapter about "make buildworld/installworld."

-- -
Makoto `MAR' MATSUSHITA