Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 17:32:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        sln@public.jn.sd.cn (sdjn)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mouse in Xwindows

sdjn wrote...
> Hi,
>
> I met problem when I config the Xwindows on my system(2.2-960801-SNAP).
> When I run startx command, the xwindow didn't work and gave this message " Fatal server error: Cannot open mouse: too many levels of symbolic links). And I checked the /dev/mouse using "ls -l" and the list is:
>
> lrwxr-xr-x 1  root  wheel    5 Aug 9 2:08     mouse -> mouse
>
> the mouse is a symbolic link to another mouse, so what's the problem? How can I cut or change this link. By the way, I make the device "mouse" using MAKEDEV and it returned no error.

Nope, 'mouse' is a symbolic link to itself, which is a symbolic link to
itself....  You need to remove this, and replace it with a link to the
appropriate device.  Which device depeneds on what kind of mouse you have...

If you have a serial mouse on the first serial port (COM1 in DOS-speak),
the device is /dev/cuaa0.  For the second serial port - /dev/cuaa1.  For
a bus mouse - /dev/mse0 for a PS/2 mouse /dev/psm0 (requires kernel build).

> Thanks in advance!

You're welcome.

> Yours,
> Song Lining

John

PS - please try to make sure yor lines don't wrap around - it can make your
mail hard to read.

--
Well, that's like hypnotizing chickens.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key