Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:51:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rohit@cs.UMD.EDU
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rohit@cs.UMD.EDU
Subject:    Strange 'tip' and 'ppp' behaviour over USR 28.8

Hi,

Some really strange problems have been confounding my connectivity
to the local ISP. I describe the problem below : would some care to
offer some insight!

I have a USR sportster 28.8K external FAX modem hooked up to COM2
with Straight thru cable.

I have a PPP and a dialup account from the local ISP (Digex).

I am running FreeBSD 2.1.5.

When I dial in to the ISP using 'tip', the connection goes thru
fine, but I am frequently interrupted by moderately long periods
of silence where my keystrokes are not echoed onto the screen.
These keystrokes seem to be bufferred someplace (TCP??, remote modem??)
as they spring back up after a while. I lose characters sometimes,
but only very rarely.

Since 'tip' seemed to misbehave, I tried configuring 'user PPP' on
my machine with my ppp account and password at the same phone
number. I get a "Dial OK' and then a 'Login OK', but the 'ppp'
prompt never goes capital to 'PPP'. The CD LED on the modem stays
lit for about 15 seconds and then goes off, indicating the line
has been dropped. Digex assigns IP addresses to PPP clients dynamically.
the only thing I have from them is their router IP address (not the
server). This complicates the situation somewhat : dynamic configuration
doesn't seem to be as well documented as the static one in the FAQ and
the handbook.

Would somebody know how to get me out of my misery? Does this sound
like a modem speed mismatch or ill-configured modem problem?

Thanks in advance.

--rohit.