Date:      Thu, 02 Feb 2012 09:23:29 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clang and ports

--------------enig72A1AAB283A2F2E88C552B3A

On 02/02/2012 07:41, Joshua Isom wrote:
> I know that build cluster lists some ports that have problems with
> clang, but it doesn't say if they're tested or not.  I set up a clang
> jail to test out things before switching to clang for general use.  Whe=
> I try running mencoder to encode a file to x264, it seg faults. Changin=
> options doesn't change anything.  A gdb backtrace points to x264 being
> the problem.  Everything compiles and installs, but the build's
> useless.  Is clang ready for ports, or is it only safe for kernel/world=
?

It is certainly true that more ports will compile with the base gcc-4.2
compiler than will compile with clang.  It's also true that of the ports
that do compile, there will be more run-time failures with clang than
with gcc.

At the last test it was something like 18,000 out of 23,000 ports that
built successfully with clang -- remember though that figure (a)
includes a lot of ports that don't use a compiler at all (like shell
scripts or pure-perl code) and (b) some of the failures are because a
dependency failed to compile, which blocks testing on anything further
down the tree, or for reasons completely unrelated to the compiler, like
being unable to fetch distfiles.

See: http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsAndClang

I personally have a FreeBSD 9-STABLE VM where everything (system+ports)
is compiled with clang, but it's just for testing, has nothing
particularly valuable on it and no one would care if it laid down and
died.  I am planning on upgrading my primary machine to 9.0 sometime
soon, and while still undecided whether to build the system with clang
or not, I certainly won't be enabling it for ports just yet.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3