Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 17:08:02 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        gozer@ludd.luth.se, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 128 PCI buses...

On Sat, Dec 06, 1997 at 08:07:42AM +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> next time put some indication to audio in the subject line -- it is
> just by chance that I came across this message.

The PCI bus problem was my major concern.. audio is just for fun
afterall :-)

Oddly enough, I've had help with the audio, but not the PCI problem..

> the SB16 needs two DMA channel, should change the above line with
> "flags 0x15" to specify channel 5 as the 16-bit DMA channel.

Yes indeed. I recompiled with "flags 0x15" and voila! - sound
worked fine. Thanks!

> > Unfortunately, it wouldn't work - I'd get sound, but not exactly
> > what you'd call pleasant sound! Lot's a screaching, static, hissing..
> > great techno garble, but quite unpleasant otherwise :-)
>
> If it is really an SB16 the secondary DMA channel should fix things.
> Other than that, if you are happy with the guspnp driver there is no
> reason you should change :)

I wanted to try both! The guspnp stuff works great, as does your
new pcm sound code. Good work! I'm assuming that the new pcm code
will eventually replace the older Voxware snd0 stuff in FreeBSD.
Is this assumption correct?

cya,
-Mark

> 	Cheers
> 	Luigi
> -----------------------------+--------------------------------------
> Luigi Rizzo                  |  Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
> email: luigi@iet.unipi.it    |  Universita' di Pisa
> tel: +39-50-568533           |  via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
> fax: +39-50-568522           |  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU