Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:57:20 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: options PNPBIOS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc: <stable@freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 3:59 PM

> > From: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
> > Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:24:00 -0700
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > I compiled a kernel with options PNPBIOS as instructed in LINT to
get my
> > sound card working.  The machine is a Pentium II Pro.  I have
ensured
> > that the BIOS is configured for PNP OS but still get these messages:
> >
> > unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
> > unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
> > unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources
> > unknown: <PNP0c01> can't assign resources
> > unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
> > unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources
> > unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
> > unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
> >
> > I've searched Google and found others with this problem but no
> > solutions.  Is PNPBIOS documented somewhere?  Where should I start?
>
> These are always present with PNPBIOS as there are several things that
> identify themselves via PNP that FreeBSD does not know/care
> about. They can almost always be ignored.

OK, that makes sense.

> As I understand it, PNPBIOS and having BIOS configured for PNP are
> very different things and the general advice I have seen is to not
> turn on PNP in BIOS.

Thanks.  After re-reading my orginal post, I wasn't very clear.  I
configured the BIOS for a PnP OS, meaning the BIOS should disable PnP
and leave the management to the OS.

> As I understand it, PNPBIOS causes FreeBSD to query BIOS for device
> information on all device. It eliminates the need to specify all sorts
> of stuff like iomem, irq, and drq in the kernel for ISA devices. I
> generally find it annoying and go ahead and define all of the
> parameters in my kernel config.
>
> Of course, it's entirely possible that I don't understand it.

You must have a pretty good grasp of it as no one has stepped in to
correct you.  :)

Thanks for your reply,

Drew