Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:28:56 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   synchronous IO

What are the secrets to doing synchronous IO with FreeBSD?  I
have this application that I'm writing where I need to play
a WAV file but I need to make sure all the bits are sent on
there way before I move on.  The WAV file is being played
through a controller that I have to toggle some bits via a
serial port to get the WAV file through.  Without doing a
sleep(3) and praying that IO is complete is there another way?
I'm pretty sure what I need is the equivalent of O_SYNC in
SVR4, but I think I'm drain-bamaged (sic) because I haven't
found the equivalent in BSD.

Thanks in advance.

-steve