Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 15:31:09 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Driver Open/Close Routines

>What we need is two things:

Simon.  You're not the only person concerned with these types of issues.
Pluto ended up performing some serious hackery to the FreeBSD SCSI system
in order to get the kind of functionality you require.  Unfortunatly, there
was a large "time to ship" vs. quality tradeoff on the approach.  For this
reason, I'm starting to architect a CAM based SCSI system for FreeBSD.
I believe that it will handle most of your needs and if not, could be
easily extended.  I invite you to go read the SCSI CAM documents which
are availible at ftp.symbios.com and see if a CAM like architecture will
suit your needs.  I expect to have a minimal CAM system (SCSI disks only)
availible in about 1.5 months.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations