Date:      Sun,  3 Feb 2002 06:28:31 -0800
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@encontacto.net>
To:        "W. Desjardins" <bill@carracing.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail server config

Bill,

My suggestion would be to use the new port of the complete courier suite
mail/courier.  IMO, compared to what you are trying to do, it is a piece
of cake.  Basically installs and works out of the box.  Only requires
going through the conf files (very simple), creating virtual users and
starting the daemons.  I have only used it with ldap but I'm sure that
the sql's and pam work equally well.

ed

P.S.   Yarema <yds@CoolRat.org> has done a great job on this port
       and keeping it up to date.  It has really simplified running
       courier on FreeBSD.

Basic info from ports:

Courier is a modular multiprotocol mail server that's designed to
strike a balance between reasonable performance, flexibility and
features.

A partial list of features:

 * Can be configured to function as an intermediate mail relay, or
   as a mail server that receives mail for one or more domains, or
   anything in between.
 * Web-based administration and configuration tool.
 * Uses an efficient maildir format as its native mail storage
   format. Some support is provided for legacy mbox mailboxes.
 * STARTTLS ESMTP extension (as well as IMAP/POP3/Webmail over SSL)
   in both the client and the server (requires OpenSSL). The ESMTP
   client can optionally require that the remote server's X.509
   certificate is signed by a trusted root CA (a default set of
   root CAs is provided).
 * Mailboxes can be accessed via POP3, IMAP, and HTTP.
 * Courier includes a mailing list manager.
 * PAM, LDAP, PostgreSQL, or MySQL authentication.
 * Authenticated SMTP.
 * Integrated mail filtering.

WWW: http://www.Courier-MTA.org/
Quoting "W. Desjardins" <bill@carracing.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I searched the archives and could not find what I needed, so here goes. I
> am looking to setup my mailserver to use user accounts that are not 'real'
> system accounts. basically, I want to be able to use a backend db (mysql
> or postgres) to manage the mail settings for users. I do both hosting and
> colocation for clients and dealing with real user accounts on the mail
> server is getting to be a real pain :(
>
> I am currently using postfix and cucipop, but would like to implement IMAP
> also.
>
> What options do I have for a mail system without 'real' user accounts?
> I would like to stay with postfix, but pop/imap clients are not too
> particular to me.
>
> My requirements are:
>
> - no 'real' user accounts
> - SAFE - a secure system/setup
> - virtual domain email accounts and mapping
> - pop & IMAP
> - SMTP remote auth
>
> Any help/pointers are appreciated.
>
> TIA,