Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 15:35:17 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, rnordier@iafrica.com
Subject:   Re: dosfsck anyone?

On Sun, 5 May 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Robert Nordier wrote:
>
> > I'm currently in the process of finishing off a BSD implementation
> > of 'dosfsck', an 'fsck'-style utility for checking and repairing
> > DOS FAT (and later VFAT) filesystems.
>
> > (Example 1)
> >
> >      Directory '/junk' is cross-linked on cluster 4.  Truncate [yn]? y
> >      . . . . .
> >      Warning: directory '/keep' was also cross-linked on cluster 4.
>
> I think i would go with this.  Anyway, _any_ decent dosfsck might be a
> nice deal.

That's my preference also.

> What about making `fsck' generic in the same way as `mount' is, btw?
> This way, an `fsck -p' would also be able to call fsck_msdos if
> there's a file system of type msdos in /etc/fstab.

A preen option is a Good Thing.  'fsck' itself has code to parse
/etc/fstab, skipping non-ufs filesystems.  One solution would be
to incorporate equivalent code in 'dosfsck'.  Possibly a more
elegant approach (which may be what you had in mind) would be to
handle the /etc/fstab parsing in a generic front-end.  The manpage
doesn't specify 'fsck -p' as taking filesystem arguments, but it
appears to accept them OK.  It would then be only optional to modify
'fsck', and the front-end would be available to dispatch all
'fsck'-type utilities.

--
Robert Nordier