Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:38:53 +0200
From:      Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-scsi <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Data corruption with the mfi(4) driver

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:20:38AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
> I cant see any information on the actual corruption or cause in that linked
> thread do you have any actual details?
>
> There was known corruption issues but these where fixed long ago so would
> be good to confirm the details of what you where running and the HW when you
> had the issue.
>
> As a point of reference we have mfi backed DB machines here and have not
> had any issues with corruption and they have been in production for over
> 1 1/2 years.

It is only visible with recent adapters like the Thunderbolt serie, and then
under relatively high disk load.

The whole Dell Rx20 generation of servers seem to be impacted; the previous
Rx10 generation is safe.

This bug report contains additional details as well as PCI ids from two
different Dell machines having experienced filesystem destruction:
http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/2683

HAMMER CRC32 errors were reported on the console and the kernel eventually
crashed after some time; I didn't get crash dumps.

--
Francois Tigeot