Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 02:55:19 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org, ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de, antony@abacus.co.uk, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 02:47:29AM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> Well, I can certainly understand that perspective.  What would you
> say to one of the following compromises:
>=20
> a) We make a concerted effort to reproduce Mr Hartman's breakage
>    and only retain the warning message if we or some reasonable
>    proxy person manages to do so.

Actually he's already doing this -- I'll look forward to hearing the
results.

Of course, I'm not ruling out the existence of a specific gcc bug
which is causing some code to fail -- after all, we all know gcc is
far from bug-free -- but I think the fact that a lot of people use
-march with no ill effects says that it's at least "mostly safe".

We also need to draw the distinction between the various values of
-march, since what is broken for one probably won't be broken for the
others.

> b) We retain the warning but tone it down a lot, simply suggesting
>    that it *might* hurt you if you used it.  I would also welcome any
>    suggestions on that wording.

I'd be happier with a warning which suggests people remove the CPUTYPE
setting as a step in the debugging of runtime failures, and remove the
text which suggests it's not appropriate to be used by default.

Kris

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z--