Date:      Fri, 9 Sep 2022 14:02:11 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openbsd disklabels incompatible?

On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 10:15 AM Michael W. Lucas
<mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if anyone cares, if this is a bug, or what.
>
> Using ctl as an iscsi target for an OpenBSD initiator, and GEOM tells
> me:
>
> GEOM: zvol/zroot/iscsi1p1: invalid disklabel
> GEOM: gpt/OpenBSD%20Area: invalid disklabel.
>
> Is this expected? It doesn't seem to matter for iscsi, but it might
> bite someone? Have our labels forked?

This isn't a problem for iSCSI.  It just means that GEOM is tasting
the partition, and can't find anything that it can mount.  But you
don't need to mount it in order to export it via ctld.
Also, pro tip: if you do
zfs set volmode=dev zroot/iscsi1
Then geom won't even see the device.  That will prevent these warning
messages, and is slightly faster.  I'm assuming that your zvol is
named "zroot/iscsi1", and you've partitioned it, but are serving the
entire volume via ctld.

-Alan