Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2022 09:20:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating reboot's default

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 8:01 AM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
> > 15 or 20 years ago, we talked about changing the default for reboot from
> > 'right now' to being safe shutdown. There were arguments made against it
> > due to tiny appliances and such.
> >
> > Time has past, and this oddity has persisted. It's time to revisit that
> > decision.
> >
> > I'd propose that we keep 'fastboot' and 'fasthalt' having the immediate
> > behavior. However, the 'reboot' command will switch from '-q' behavior to
> > '-r' behavior.
> >
> > I'll update the man page, etc to reflect these new defaults. Most of the
> > systems I've been on in the last 10-15 years have had some flavor of 'alias
> > reboot reboot -r' in their login scripts and/or made shell scripts that did
> > this. This will match what everybody else is doing, and will likely result
> > in less astonishment rather than more, even though it changes a
> > long-standing default behavior.
> >
> > Comments?
> >

> I slightly misspoke here. I'm proposing we change the default to like
> 'shutodwn -r' not to re-root the system... Sorry for any confusion.

Retract my prior objection based on reboot -r being a re-root.

BUTT:
shutdown -r requires an argument of "time"
And what would the time be?

aka if you alias reboot "shutdown -r", when I type
reboot I'll end up getting a usage error.
This is gona cause some confusion, perhaps you
mean to alias reboot "shutdown -r now"?