Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:15:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        black@gage.com, mcwong@hotmail.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UltraSPARC and MicroSPARC vs Pentium Pro ?

it occurs to me that i be speaking harshly on this matter.
if so let me apologize here and now.

in my opinion, pc's are a remarkable value

	they are serveral times more expensive than pc's of better
	or comparable performance  (however, you must pc your pc
	from someone that knwos what he is about, suck as rod
	grimes.)

	as i understand cpu/cache/memory benchmarks, both Hint and
	SPEC, pc outperform suns when executing integer code by a
	healthy margin.  (this is over general...586-90 is close
	to a sparc20)

	applications that i have run and timed on both machines
	bear out the benchmark results.  an example:  we have an
	economist at work that runs large mathematica jobs.  this
	code is floating point intensive.  on a quiet sparc20 the
	calcuation took 410 seconds, and on the 586-90 460 seconds.
	yes. the sparc20 was faster.  it had 256MB vs 48MB.
	it cost far more.  (oh...mathematica 3.0 sparc vs mathematica 3.0
	linux running in binary emulation on FreeBSD 2.2)
	this example plays to sun's strong suit vs pc's: floating point.

	now if you are doing Java, use a sun.  our java is slow, no
	fault of jeffry hsu.

	otherwise, consider carefully, run your application on
	both platforms and then decide.

jmb

Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> Ben Black wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > as for "killing the snot out of Sun" in integer performance, the SPECint95
            ^^^^^^^
	    that should hvae been "kicking"