Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 07:31:28 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        chem@i-p-d.nl
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pop before sendmail, MS internet mail

On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 11:38:43AM +0200, chem@i-p-d.nl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is probably not the right list, but perhaps someone has had the
> same problem and might know the answer.
> We have just succeeded in installing the pop before sendmail-rules in
> sendmail on a FreeBSD-box. Now one of our customers cant send his E-mail
> no more using MS internet mail. Does anyone know how to make this program
> POP first and than send mail, or perhaps only send mail instead of checking
> and sending at the same time?

I don't know about MS Internet Mail, but if it's anything like MS Outlook
Express, it will *always* attempt to send any queued mail before checking for
mail. There's no way to check for mail without it trying to send queued mail
first.

The only way around this is to make sure there's nothing in your outbox before
you check your mail the first time.

Chris