Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:33:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      "User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys" <rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu (User RDKEYS Robert D. Keys)
Subject:   sysinstall bomb on 2nd running in FreeBSD 2.0.5 (fixes?)

Don't laugh.....ok..... I have already.....(:+}}.....

I am trying to bring up a tiny little dumb XT crate with a 386 board in it
and only 4 megs of ram (you know, one of those baby XT boards), and am
stuck with trying to get 2.0.5 up on it.  It comes up fine.  BUT, the
sysinstall dumps core on a second and subsequent invocation.  That does
not bother me particularly, since the basic bin system is up.  I do want
to get the manpages installed, and don't really want to reinstall from
scratch again from 5-1/5 inch floppies (yeah, I know I am crazy to do
floppy installs but they still work just fine on remote boxes).

My question is.....

   1.  can the sysinstall be reinvoked in some way without dumping core?
       (probably not --- if not then it requires a complete reinstall with
        the manpages as part of the original requested install)

   2.  if not, can the dos floppies be read in and installed manually?
       (probably so, but I can't seem to get the right incantation going)

   3.  if not, should I just tar off the manpages on another machine and
       port them in as a plain unix tar.  (this should be easy to do).

I tend to favor 3. as the best solution, but 2 may be doable, if I can
get the correct incantation going.  There were no install scripts on the
2.0.5 that I can find compared to the later releases.

Comments or pointers appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Keys
rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu