Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:15:20 +0100
From:      Matt Smith <matt@xtaz.co.uk>
To:        <clay@milos.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.1 RELENG_9 Unable to cleanly dismount root partition on shutdown

On 2012-08-27 10:25, clay@milos.co.za wrote:
> I'm far from anything near an expert on file systems but I'd suggest
> you remove softupdates and leave journaling on.
> tunefs -n disable
> There's no need to have both on and although I agree that both SHOULD
> work together there's no reason to have them on together. It will
> only
> slow down writes to the file system. Effectively soft updates was a
> go-between before journalin was introduced.

Really? This is SU+J journalling that I'm using. Not gjournal. Surely
SU+J does require softupdates to be on as it's part of the same thing?
Output from tunefs -p:

tunefs: soft updates: (-n)                                 enabled
tunefs: soft update journaling: (-j)                       enabled
tunefs: gjournal: (-J)                                     disabled