Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 06:58:31 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Larry Hawk" <tymbrwlf@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Experiences

Its like the masonic lodge ..... you need to figure out "the secret
handshake" :)
Like you I came from a largely Windows background and found this unix stuff
impossibly obtuse .... however after messing around with linux for ages I
was quite
impressed with the way things are organized in "proper" unixes, particularly
in respect
of documentation & attitudes. The linux geeks seem to enjoy mindless
complexity but
at least most of the people who work with FreeBSD / Solaris / SCO etc are
more
practical ..... and then there's that excellent book of Greg Lehey's ......
should be
compulsory reading for all newbies.