Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:03:38 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer recommendation please

Hi,

On Saturday 31 March 2012 11:12:07 Matt Emmerton wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:14:20 -0400
> > Mike Jeays wrote:
> >
> > > I strongly recommend a laser printer over an inkjet even for home use.
> > > The reduced running costs and better reliability are easily worth the
> > > lack of colour, IMO.
> >
> > How do they compare for light and  occasional use? I'm thinking in terms
> of a few pages,
> > a few times a year, so presumably the consumables become perishables.
>
> Toner really doesn't go bad, and good laser printers are built to last.  My
> first laser printer was an HP LaserJet 5P that my local bank branch was
> throwing away in 2003. It ran on its existing toner cartridge for 5 or 6
> years under light use - maybe 500 pages per year.

yes, take a laser. Inkjets just dry out before the next use. You need then to take some time to fix it. I have had only one in my life. I thought it was a good buy until I realised this problem.

My first laser printer was a IIP running for at least a decade until the electronics gave way. I just realised that I have had no laser printer failing mechanically.

The problem might will be to find a cheap one which works with FreeBSD. Friends bought the cheapest Samsung AIO. It did not give them any problems running Linux.

Erich