Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2015 12:24:46 -0500
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What's in my hard drive? How can I get rid of it?

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 10:04:22 -0700, jd1008 stated:

> What a pile of manure.
> Any decent and intelligent lawyer could appeal such
> cased and have the conviction thrown out of court -
> this, assuming that our court systems and judges are
> actually fully beholden to the constitution and the rule
> of law, and due process.

Just two cases in point:

Los Angeles County

Francisco "Franky" Carrillo was convicted of the 1991 murder of Donald Sarpy
and sentenced to life in jail. His conviction was reversed by the Los Angeles
County Superior Court on March 14, 2011, after he had served twenty years in
prison.

Geronimo Pratt, a Black Panther leader, was convicted in 1972 of the 1968
murder of a white school teacher and sentenced to life in jail. He was
exonerated in 1997.

There are literally 100's of cases that are sometimes corrected after 20+
years. Is 20+ years your idea of success? By the way, this is my number 1
argument against the death penalty. Correct me if I am wrong, but they have
not discovered how to reanimate a corpse yet have they?

It was reported, and I forgot what agency did the study, that not less than
2% and not more than 7% of all incarcerated men and women in the US are
totally innocent of the crime they were convicted of.It went on to state that
these convictions were obtained though a combination of official misconduct
by the prosecution and sloppy or deliberately engineered investigations by
the police.

These cases from NY are interesting because I actually knew some of the cops
involved in the Westchester case.

New York

New York County

The Central Park Five were five Harlem teens convicted of the 1989 assault
and rape of a jogger in New York's Central Park. They served their sentences
but afterwards their convictions were set aside in 2002 when DNA evidence
cleared them and another man confessed to the crime.

Westchester County

In 1998 Kian Daniel Khatibi was convicted of a double stabbing after
detectives from the Village of Pleasantville falsely claimed that the victims
had identified Kian as their attacker and then forwarded this false
information to the Westchester County District Attorney. In 2008, Kian was
released from prison as the truth unraveled and the conviction was overturned.

Jeffrey Mark Deskovic was convicted of the 1989 of rape and murder of a high
school classmate and sentenced to 15 years-life in jail. He was exonerated in
2006 when the DNA from the crime was matched to another person.

--
Jerry