Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 13:57:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sockets and SYSTEM V message queue

My impression is that whenever you create a socket, you bind to some IP
address.  If you creates two sockets on the same machine, these two
sockets will bind to the same IP address (assuming that the machine has
only one NIC). When these two sockets communicate with each other, the OS
should be smart enough to figure out that they associated with the same IP
address and therefore do not actually send packets out to the network.

If this is the case, why do we bind a socket to an IP address.  I mean,
the sockets should be able to be used alone.  If they have to be bound to
an IP address to be used, why do not we use message queue of SYS V?  If
so, which mechanism is better - message queue or standalone socket?

I hope some guru will enlightment me on this subject.

Any help is appreciated.