Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:13:34 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious performance issue with 2.2.5-RELEASE

> > Now Now, not all of us have spare hardware to throw around, besides I've done
>
> Well, now hang on a second..  If you're going to be an ISP, at least
> one who takes himself and his services halfway seriously, then surely
> cost of an extra PC (or, as I noted, even just an extra *disk*) is
> going to pale in comparison to the cost of inflicting instability
> on your user base.

In defense of Jaye, let's say he did bring in a spare PC, loaded it up
with 2.2.5 and it worked fine in his 'fake' load environment.  But, when
he moved it into 'real' production use, it started seeing those kinds of
problems.  Would his problem be taken more seriously then?

(He does seem to imply that it's load related, and as we all know it's
difficult to simulate real-world load conditions everywhere except the
real world.)

Nate