Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:29:22 +0200
From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        Olafur Osvaldsson <oli@isnic.is>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The 4.4 FTP Release

Hi,

Olafur Osvaldsson wrote on Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 10:01:28PM +0000:
[..]
> 1.  I find it strange that the announcement of the new version was sent out
>     before even ftp.freebsd.org was up-to-date.
Yes, nothing agains an official release date,
to ship CD-ROM distributions in time, etc. But
the announcement on the list and on the webpage could be
delayed until a reasonable set of mirrors has
caught up.

> 2.  It is also strange that mirrors were allowed to start mirroring from
>     ftp-master before the maintainers finished uploading to the machine,
>     making the mirrors in some instances download hundreds of MB again when
>     it was decided to change the setup of the ISO-IMAGES dir.
Hmm, that was sent in time. People who have already synced,
could have moved to images to the recent directory thus
saving to download them again. It was unfortunate, but not
a real problem, and it was announced.

> 3.  To my knowledge there were only 3 sites today (13:00 GMT) that had all of
>     4.4 i386 iso images on their ftp server, ftp2.freebsd.org, ftp5.freebsd.org
>     and ftp.rhnet.is, but ftp.freebsd.org didn't have all.
You made it. :)

[..]
> P.S. I don't have access to ftp-master.freebsd.org yet, but if someone reading
>      this can make that happen for me it would be much appreciated.
>      (ftp.rhnet.is, (Real: draupnir.rhnet.is), rsync or cvsup)
If you haven't done already, ask <hostmaster@veda.net>
for a "ftp2.is.freebsd.org" alias/A-record.

Then you can call yourself 'tier-1' and request access. ;-))

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock        - "Do you love yourself ?" - "Yes!" (Isar 12) -
*Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 25735 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/*