Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:21:25 CST
From:      Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1-Stable Being Unstable

>As a temporary workaround please disable the screen saver code.
>I was having the same problems with 4.0 and taking out the saver
>module kept my machine from crashing.
>
>As far as the linux emulation...  The same box that i disabled the
>screen saver is also running the linux module.  It's still running
>it and seems stable, however the linux code itself is not being
>used, it's just loaded (i don't have any linux apps to test).

  Does this mean not loading a module or disabling the splash
pseudo-device?  While both machines have the splash pseudo
device, only the 486 actually loads a screen saver module.
The dual-p133 does not load a screen saver and it crashes. The
dual-p133 loads the linux module but the functionality is
not used.

>I suggest you check if your kernels are being compiled with
>INVARIANTS or something of the likes, kernels compiled with
>these options mixed with modules that don't can crash your machine
>afaik.

  INVARIANTS and other similar diagnostic code switches are not
enabled on either machine.

  When the dual-p133 crashes the text screen is completely screwed
up.  The machine is normally running X and the it crashes the screen
goes blank.  The reboot cycle completes and an OS is loaded.  During
the reboot cycle I nothing on the screen.  If FreeBSD loads I see
nothing.  If NT loads I see nothing until the login screen.  If I reboot
NT I see nothing until NT loads again.  Simply, when FreeBSD crashes
on this machine while in X (and perhaps when not in X) no text mode
screen is visible.  So, even if DDB does kick in on this machine
I would have not way of seeing the text.

  Can the text mode problem be fixed?

  Thanks.

---
Kent Vander Velden