Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:02:19 +1100
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        "A.K" <blorb@biosys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why does it hang?

"A.K" wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Here's my system config:
>
> PII 266
> 64 MB RAM
> IBM DHEA 6.4 Gig drive (IDE)
> Genius 2500 III Lan card (NE2000 compatible)
> SiS 3D AGO PRO video card
> Gigabyte 440 LX motherboard.
> LiteON 40 X Cd ROm
>
> This is nothing exotic so why does it hang at "Probing devices"????

What (if anything) is displayed on the screen at this time?

ie: Could you please include the boot messages (starting after the boot
prompt) and if you do, could you use the -cv option at the boot prompt
as it will (hopefully) shed some more light on what the kernel thinks is
in your system (as well as anything that it thinks is not in your
system).

eg:
boot info.....blah blah

blah

boot: -cv <---- you enter this, be quick though!
detection of hardware, etc. starts here
blah
blah
and bombs out down here somewhere (is this correct? If so pls include
everything from the boot: to here in your reply).

--
Regards                        |    _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    |   /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed
FreeBSD."